Tuesday, November 22, 2016

Wisdom Panel Results

November Reviews-0001
Looking adorable

Our Wisdom Panel results came in a couple weeks ago. It actually took exactly two weeks from the day I mailed the test to when we received our results, which was awesome.


Wisdom panel result


Ptera is a Jack Russell Terrier. Jack Russells are not AKC accepted, so the two AKC breeds of Parson Russell Terrier and Russell Terrier came up as the results. Since these breeds are both considered Jack Russells by the wider world outside of the show ring, I think this is a very reasonable result for a purebred but not AKC registered JRT.

Wisdom Results
Half Parson, half Russel

Even though the results are exactly what I expected, I thought they were pretty fun to read over. And since I got Ptera second hand rather than from a breeder, there was always the possibility that her original owners either lied to me or were lied to themselves, or were mistaken, about her breed. She is a particularly dainty jack, after all.

PCA Test
Just one of the additional tests that happen if you mark purebred for your dog

Overall, I thought reviewing the Wisdom Panel was a ton of fun. It was nice seeing a confirmation that Ptera is a JRT, and would have been nice to know if she was not and had something else mixed in. While I would never swear these results are 100% perfectly accurate, I do think it gives a very good idea of what breed or breeds a dog may have in their background, and is just plain fun to do.


While I was provided with this product in exchange for a review, I was not compensated in any other way, and the opinions expressed are entirely my own.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, I was wondering how big Ptera is? My rescue terrier is 6 lbs and I always assumed she was a Toy Fox Terrier because of her small size and huge ears! I just got our Embark results back and it turns out she's 88% "Russell-Type Terrier" and 12% Rat Terrier. It was really interesting to see our test results as well. I'm trying to figure out where her tiny size would come from though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ptera weighs 10.5 lbs, and is just under 13" at the shoulder. JRTs come in a pretty big variety of sizes, as do rat terriers. I've seen some tiny rat terriers, and some tiny JRTs. But even so, 6 lbs is pretty small!

      Delete