Tuesday, May 2, 2017

Tylee's Part 3, Final Thoughts #chewyinfluencer

Ptera has been eating Tylee's, the new Chewy.com exclusive human grade cooked food for the past month. I've shared our thoughts a couple of time since we started (see Part 1 and Part 2), but wanted to make one more post with our final thoughts.

We were provided with Tylee's for a month in exchange for our honest review. We were not compensated in any other way, and all thoughts expressed are entirely our own.

April-4848

After a month, Ptera was still excited for her food every meal time. She ate eagerly at every meal, and she cleaned her bowl completely. While I could see some picker dogs potentially picking out or eating around some of the vegetable pieces, Ptera didn't do that at all. If your dog is picky in a way you think that might happen, I would recommend making sure the food is really thawed all the way, as it gets a bit mushier, so would be harder for a dog to pick out the vegetables.

April-4859

I wanted to share a couple short videos of Ptera eating the Tylee's, so you can see that I am being entirely truthful both about her enthusiasm for the food and in that she doesn't pick through it.





Since this is a frozen cooked food, it took me a little while to figure out the best way to serve it. I started out just dishing up a meal's worth frozen and letting it thaw (sometimes being lazy and not letting it thaw all the way). Then I moved the whole bag to the refrigerator instead of the freezer. That worked, but I found that the food was mushier when fully thawed out. That made it both harder and grosser to scoop food out of the bag, especially as I got to the bottom and had to reach my whole hand in. The food is human grade, and all that, but I still didn't want my hand smeared with it just from serving my dog breakfast. So I ended up deciding that the best method for me was to put a few days worth of food in a glass bowl with a lid and put that in the fridge to serve out of. It was easier for me than remembering to put a single bowl of food in to thaw twice a day, and worked out really well. We also traveled while feeding Tylee's, and found that it was easier than traveling with raw food. Since this is meant to be thawed out, it lasted just fine in a cooler as long as there was ice in there, and lasts longer at fridge temps than raw does (and that is a really good thing if you have ever traveled with frozen raw food only to have it go bad in the cooler!).

April-4868

As for how Ptera has done on the food overall, I would say she did great. I did have to feed her about a cup and a half of thawed Tylee's to maintain her weight (she weighs 10 lbs), but she pretty much always eats a good deal more than the recommended amount for her size, so I wasn't surprised. She went through three bags of Tylee's for the month, though Koira did get it as a topper on her food quite a bit as well. At $34.99 (or $31.99 on autoship) per bag, feeding Tylee's is more expensive than a high quality kibble, but pretty close to on par with prepared raw foods and cheaper than many of them. I likely won't continue feeding Tylee's regularly, but I think it is going to be my go to food if I ever need to start doing home cooked diets for my dogs. Tylee's is basically a home cooked diet without the hassle and worry of doing it at home, since you just have to thaw and feed and don't have to worry about balancing nutrients.

April-4869

Ptera's skin and coat have been non-itchy and super soft. Her eyes haven't gotten gunky or teary like they often do when changing foods or on certain foods- so if tears and tear stains are a huge problem for your dog, I would highly recommend trying out Tylee's. At no point while eating Tylee's did Ptera have digestive issues. Her stools were formed and regular.

April-4870

Overall, I really liked this food. Delivery was always timely; the food was always frozen solid when it arrived. Ptera loved it as a meal, and Koira loved it as an occasional topper. Neither dog had any negative effects from eating this food.

Right now, Chewy.com is still having a Buy One, Get One Free sale on Tylee's, so if you want to try it, now is the time!

No comments:

Post a Comment