Thursday, July 7, 2011

Last practice

We had our last practice before the tournament tonight. Most of the dogs and people weren't there, but we had enough to run a full lineup a couple times.

Pallo is running last in this line up:


And Koira is running second in this lineup:



I know. She has a terrible turn. But, at over a year and a half since her last race, I made the decision to run her with the turn she has instead of spending forever trying to fix it. Normally, in practice, she runs with a box jump in place, which gives her a much nicer turn. Since we won't be able to use props at the tournament, I wanted to see what Koira would do without them. She does a smash-and-grab, apparently. I'll be working with her box work a bit more after this tournament, to see if I can improve it any.

And, at the risk of repeating myself (probably for the billionth time), I am super excited for the tournament this weekend. It feels like its been forever, even for Pallo, who raced a few months ago.

9 comments:

  1. Good luck this weekend! Hope you have nice clean runs!

    Sophie's box turn is so much better with the prop in. I work on it as much as possible but come race time she doesn't have the nice turn about 40% of the time. She sort of swings her back legs but not up on the box. It really seems like she just gets lazy and without the prop why left her back end high. :-p

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with the tournament!! To my untrained eye, the dogs both look great :) I can see what you mean about Koira's smash-grab of the ball though.

    There's a UK site now selling flyball boxes, for a limited time, for about £25 (so something like $50). I'm so tempted to buy one, but I have no idea how to train for flyball!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hah I love that term: smash and grab.

    Gah! I've only ever seen flyball videos in slow-mo... HOLY CRAP they're fast!!

    Good luck at the tournament!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone. Friday Night Racing went awesome so far! And Sofie, you should send me a link to the flyball box being sold, if you can!

    ReplyDelete
  5. loved the videos, i thought they were awesome! i wouldn't even know more practice was needed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck with your dogs in the fly ball tournament. They're very talented!

    Stopping by on the pet blogger hop - I especially liked your "Must Resist Puppy" post - I volunteer at the Etowah Valley Humane Society and the puppies are the toughest to leave behind every night when I shut the door...to go home to my own three dogs and cat.

    Go to Pet-peeves.org to see the very best cat band/cat lady video ever. It's destined to become a viral hit and you'll be one of the first to see it!

    Happy Caterday from Chairman Meow and his minions (the pups).

    ReplyDelete
  7. So how did it go? It sounds like it started well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can't wait to hear how it all went.

    Love and licks, Winnie

    ReplyDelete