Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Limping

Well, Koira is limping.

Silly girl just had to get all funky right when I need new tires on the car (driving on the donut is apprently frowned on in the long term).

She is managing to only limp at night, only about 1-3 nights per week, and has been doing it for a few weeks now. I thought it was due to her cutting her pads up, as she has really sensitive feet, but her limping last night was NOT a foot injury, at least, not one that I could see when I inspected it.

Vet's best idea, when I talked to her over the phone about it, is that Koira may have rhumatoid arthritis. It would, according to the vet, explain why she is sore in the evening after her muscles have gotten a good workout (it more often happens when we have been playing hard that day) rather than stiffness in the morning, as most people are more likely to see. Second guess is a spinal injury, as it is both rear legs that she is limping with, rather than always the same one.

I'm not really sure what I am hoping for with her. RA is a life long autoimmune disease. Spinal injuries can be really bad, but some of them can be fully recovered from. One of our team dogs just had to retire from flyball at age 5 (I think) due to a diagnosis of degenerative disc disease. No more running, jumping, playing ball, etc. I couldn't do that to my dog. She loves her games.

Most of this is just my human mind going into worry mode. Me wishing for it to be one thing doesn't change what it is, right now. But, I can't really help it. My baby girl is so sad and pathetic looking when I ask her to come to bed for the night and she groans, gets up, and then limps to the bedroom.

At least I do know, no matter what is up with her, she will still be able to go swimming. Spinal injury, RA, hips, ACL, any of it, and she not only would be allowed, but encouraged, to go swimming. And my little girl sure does love the water.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

3 comments:

  1. Oh no! I'm so sorry. Has she ever had hip xrays done?

    ReplyDelete
  2. She never did get hip x-rays. In fact, she has never had any done. We almost did some on her jaw a while back, but the chiro was able to fix it without the films.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was just going to ask if she has had her hips done before. I just had my boy's redone in January (he had them done at 2 yo and is now 5).

    I hope you are able to get to the bottom of things asap and that it is not related to her discs.

    ReplyDelete