Monday, August 21, 2017

Total Eclipse: Totality

I live in what has lately been called the "zone of totality" which basically means, I had a chance to see a total solar eclipse without leaving my own back yard.

As the sun becomes obscured by the moon, the shadows change shape through the trees. Instead of circles of bokeh light, everything becomes crescents.

Total Eclipse 2017-9760



Total Eclipse 2017-9771



During totality, it is safe to look directly at the sun without any protective eyewear. And it was amazing, and stunning. The whole world went dark and cold for just over two minutes, before the moon started moving out from in front of the sun. I can't imagine the terror something like this would cause if you didn't know what was happening or why. Eclipses historically are signs of horrible things to come, and I can see why an ancient civilization would think that. But then, the sun reappears, and within a few minutes, the sky is bright enough to not be able to tell the difference.

Total Eclipse 2017-9788
The "diamond ring" as the moon moves away from the sun after totality


Hope you all had a chance to view the eclipse.

4 comments:

  1. Those images are so cool! I was at work and we had a great view of it, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had 86% here in Northern Virginia. Had to use the glasses the whole time but it was still pretty cool. It was interesting to feel the heat leave the sunshine and our shadows all dulled and lost contrast for a few seconds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your photos are gorgeous. I am determined to find a place to experience totality in 2024. Everyone's posts are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these photos! We'll be in the zone of totality for the 2024 eclipse, so this makes me even more excited about it. We only had 82% here and it was neat, but nothing like what I've heard from other places!

    ReplyDelete