Thursday, February 9, 2017

Pet Photography Challenge

I don't keep up with challenges and year long projects very well. A good part of it is that I don't like being told what to do, or having to do something, so once there are rules in place, I tend to back off.

I did, at the beginning of this year, join a Facebook group for pet photography. Pet Photography Challenge issues a new challenge (or theme) each week. You take a photo that fits the challenge/theme, and post it into that week's album. The world doesn't end if you don't get around to it that week. You can use an old photo if you want (I personally consider that cheating for myself, but it is totally allowed in the group).

And bonus, at the end of each week, group members "vote" for their favorite of the photos with facebook likes. The "winning" photo gets used for the next week as the banner/header photo for the group. It is a bit of R+ training for everyone, a bit of a reward.

So far, I've gotten two photos chosen at the end of a challenge and used as the group's header.

16174833_1340277589378853_5606972846366486484_n
Week 3 Depth of Field challenge winner


16473152_1356665737740038_1282664292478031299_n
Week 5 Bokeh Winner

I will admit that I haven't gotten a photo posted for every challenge. A few weeks, the motivation just wasn't there. On others, the end of the week arrived way before I was ready for it, and it just didn't happen. I did Week 1, backlighting, but with a photo I wasn't totally thrilled about. I missed Week 2, Rule of Thirds, because I just didn't get motivated. Week 4's challenge was From A Lower Perspective, and I had a perfect idea and awesome plan, and I just didn't get it done. It just didn't happen. But honestly, it is fine, because no one scolds you for not participating.

I am enjoying the group a lot. Even the weeks where I don't get a picture up, I am finding the prompts fun, something that gives me different ideas about what to try and what to work on with my photography.

This week (Week 6), the challenge is Window To the Soul. This is the picture I submitted:

February-3647
Koira is super soulful.


Everyone is welcome to join the group. Even if your only camera is a phone, you can get some decent pictures and work on ways to improve your technique. The camera doesn't make the photographer (though it helps in some situations). Knowing good technique, good framing, good composition, all of that helps more than any camera possibly can. Many horrible photos have been taken with thousand+ dollar cameras!

2 comments:

  1. Ugh, tell me about it. LOL. I got a fancy camera and thought it would perform miracles, but it turns out it was more me that was the problem than my camera (and my lack of patience for learning how to properly use it).
    I also like that this challenge is casual. I didn't join in until week 3 and so far have taken original photos every week since (like you, I don't want to look through old photos but I might if I have to). But it's good to know that I don't have to do it every week. Good for you winning two weeks already!
    Jan, Wag n Woof Pets

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your photos are great! I joined the group as well and while I've only participated a few times, I really enjoy it. There is no pressure and it is fun to see what everyone comes up with.

    ReplyDelete