Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Chewy Review: Weruva Caloric Harmony

This month, we reviewed the Weruva Chicken, Turkey, & Salmon Dinner with Pumpkin from Chewy.com.

When I started feeding this, Koira was off on vacation with my mom, so Ptera got to try it out first. My dogs are pretty used to switching foods, so I didn't do a gradual swap, just switched her over cold turkey. She did great with the swap. No gas, no stool issues. She was eager and excited to eat right away, regardless of if the food was served in a kong wobbler, puzzle bowl, or normal bowl with water. At 10 lbs, Ptera ate 1 cup per day, which is within the recommended amount on the bag, but is likely too much for most dogs her size, given that she is both very, very active and still a puppy.

Chewy August-7601

Ptera totally does the same dance that the dog on the bag is doing when mealtime comes, followed by dashing and and out of her crate repeatedly until I stick her bowl into the crate.


When Koira arrived home, she had a similarly positive response to this food as well. Enthusiastic at meal time and quick to eat.

Both dogs had good stools the entire time they ate this food (which was longer for Ptera than Koira), formed, but not super hard, and not giant.

Chewy August-7608
Yes, they got more than three kibbles in a meal. I forgot to take a picture of the kibbles until we had finished the bag off, and three kibbles is was was left at the bottom of the bag when I went to take pictures.

Overall, the ingredients are great, the food has good balances of fat, protein, and carbs, and no ingredients that I object to. It also does not have any nasty grimy smells and doesn't leave my hands stinking if I touch it, which some kibbles do (normally cheap crap kibbles, but occasionally an expensive one as well), making it easy to use this as training treats if needed.

Chewy August-7609
I can haz kibbles?

While certainly not cheap, Weruva is very similarly priced to other high quality foods, and would be great fed alone or as part of a rotational diet.

As usual, while we did receive this product for free to review, all opinions are entirely our own, and we were not compensated in any other ways.

1 comment:

  1. I may have to try this for Pike! Nola primality eats freeze dried raw, and I have to watch the calcium and phosphorous ratios for Layla since she's a giant breed, but I think it'd be a good fit for him.

    ReplyDelete