Friday, September 1, 2017

July/August Hiking Goals

I skipped the July update of our hiking goals for the year. We didn't actually go hiking at all in July. I know. Pretty bad, considering we have so few dry months here.

Olalla-4743
My favorite SUP selfie so far this summer


In July, I did make it out on the paddleboard and kayak a few times. I went to a small, local lake with my mom a few times.

Hamer Lake July-3498
Playing with the GoPro at the local lake


Hamer Lake July-3611
"Docking" the SUP and going for the dismount


I also went camping at the coast for a few days with a friend and her family. We took out the paddleboard and some kayaks to Beaver Creek on the coast. I mostly stuck to the SUP, but did take a spin in the kayak. We camped at South Beach State Park, which was a lot of fun, but I didn't get a single photo of our campsite (we were in yurts) or of the beach. Or of the beach at Pacific City when we went there at the end of the week.

Beaver Creek July-3830
Kayaking a little at Beaver Creek


The first week of August, I slammed my week full of water trips. I started with a trip to Olalla lake with a friend who has never kayaked. I helped her put a big, super fun check mark on her bucket list, and had the opportunity myself to get out and have a great time.

The next day, I headed down to a reservoir near Eugene with a friend, where we spent a very smokey day out on the water. The Willamette Valley has been in smoke almost all summer, it feels like, from wildfires in Oregon, Washington, and even some smoke coming all the way from the big BC wildfires.

August SUP-5951
In a reservoir near Eugene- it wasn't overcast at all, that haze is all smoke


Then, I headed to the Silverton lake the next day to meet up with another friend and enjoy yet another day on the water. I was exhausted, but it was an amazingly fun week. It wasn't quite planned to be like that, rather, I made plans with three people and kept forgetting that I had plans. But somehow it all worked out, and I had an awesome week.

August SUP-7086
Still a smoky day, but much clearer in Silverton than in Eugene the day before

I went whitewater rafting with our flyball team boxloader and his friends/family, which was pretty awesome. I got exactly zero photos, and didn't have a dog with me, and didn't know anyone except the one person, but it was an absolute blast. So much fun.

I also had a chance to hit the beach once in August, even though I rarely do the beach in Oregon in the summer.

Holliday Beach-9841
Posing on the beach


And went back to an old favorite hike, Drift Creek Falls. There was actually a tree down across the road and a few people had parked and hiked in the last mile to the trailhead. But, with teamwork between three carloads of people, we managed to move the tree out of the road with zero tools. That kind of eclipsed the hike, to be honest. It felt awesome to come together with a team of strangers and get something done that would have been impossible alone.

Drift Creek Falls-9851
Classic sign photo


Drift Creek Falls-9853
Having a tiny dog willing to balance on things is pretty fun sometimes


Drift Creek Falls-9855
Trailhead mileage sign


I just love the suspension bridge at Drift Creek Falls. It scares me, but I have been slowly tackling my fear of heights (remember that I went ziplining in the Redwoods in California?). This is a solid bridge in good condition, but narrow enough with open looking sides to be scary, but with chainlink and solid boards, so you can use it to conquer fears.

Drift Creek Falls-9959
Drift Creek suspension bridge


What have you been doing in the great outdoors this summer? Any fun plans before summer ends? I'm hoping to get some more hiking in this month, and at least a few more SUP trips as well.

2 comments:

  1. It sounds like you had quite a variety of adventures the last couple months! I love these pictures--and how willing Ptera is balance on things! Rye will do that, too, but I never let her balance on high things because she thinks she's a cat and will fly off of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I very carefully help Ptera balance, and she has never attempted to jump from any of these. I go back to her and carefully lift her down. I either use a wide angle lens, so I am not very far from her, or else I have a second person stand nearby just out of the shot in case she starts losing her balance. Ptera trusts me a ton with this, and I try to make sure I never take advantage of that trust.

      Delete