So, what do you need to take along when heading off to a tournament? I always make a list so I don't forget anything. The list is split into two columns, labeled Dogs and Human.
Here is my Dog Gear list of stuff to pack (we are staying one night):
- 2 collars
- 2 leashes
- 3 flyball collars (need a spare, just in case)
- 2 coursing slips
- 2 pair of skid boots (I made Koira a second pair, just in case I lose or destroy one pair)
- 2 tugs
- 2 sheepskin tugs (new, specially made for Pallo)
- 1 water bowl (the dogs share)
- 2 chicken quarters (one each for breakfast Sunday morning)
- 1 roll of poop bags
- 1 crate cover (because I only got around to making one)
- 1 crate pad (I only have one...)
- 2 dog beds (for car, crate, and hotel)
- 2 crates
- 1 emergency kit
- 1 sweatshirt (for Koira, in case it gets cold)
- 1 towel (for mud control)
Anything you see that is missing? What all do you put on your list when traveling for a tournament, trial, or dog event?
My human list includes the basics, like the clothing I need to pack, as well as various other things. Here is the current list I have of what I need to pack for myself:
- 2 team t-shirts
- 1 team sweatshirt
- 1 red sweatshirt (matches our team colors, just in case the other one gets dirty)
- 1 light jacket
- video camera
- battery charger
- water bottle
- other drinks (juice, soda, etc)
- drink mixes
- 1 chair
- 1 pillow
- CD books (for the car ride)
- 2 pairs of jeans (in case I get super muddy)
- 1 pair leggings (in case it gets super cold)
- 2 pair shoes (again, in case of mud)
- Phone charger
I'm sure there are other things I am forgetting. I have yet another list of food stuff to pack for sharing. Our team always puts together an awesome potluck spread, so I have to make sure I actually pack and bring what I sign up to bring! And I get messed up the morning of, because some things (like stuff for in the cooler) can't be packed until the morning, and I don't really do my best at 3:30 am, even with a list to refer to.
I tend to over pack. That may be evidenced in my lists above, or possibly not... But my goal this time is to have one bag for the dogs, one bag for me, one food bag, and one cooler. Plus the crates, dog beds, and chair that don't fit in bags (but those totally don't count). I don't know what I would do if I drove a tiny little car like the 2-door Toyota Tercel I drove when I first got Koira. Find some way to downsize, I guess...
Do you end up taking everything but the kitchen sink along with you, just in case?